So, you’ve come to an agreement with
your former partner – now what?

August 5, 2023
Our suite of integrated construction services ensure the highest degree of quality, safety, efficiency and innovation on your projects.

In the context of a separation, a lot of couples are able to agree about care arrangements for their children and splitting their finances. But after agreement is reached, how do you turn it into something more official?

One option to formalise that agreement is by way of Consent Orders filed in the Family Court of Western Australia (WA) or the Family Court of Australia (NSW).  Consent Orders are made by the Court on a joint application and can finalise children’s and/or financial matters.

Consent Orders are a must where superannuation splitting is desired by the parties.  They may also assist in avoiding stamp duty on transfers of property from one party to another.

Consent Orders are enforceable Orders of the Court.  Because of this, you should get legal advice about how you write the agreement and make sure that the agreement is one that the Court will be willing to accept.

If the documents are not drafted and compiled correctly, or the agreement expressed in the documents is not just and equitable, the Court may not make the Orders that you and your former partner seek.

One of our experienced family lawyers can help lead you through the process in preparing the required Court documents, and ensuring that the agreement that the parties reach will be accepted by the Court.

Meredith Saayman Lawyers offer competitive fixed fees for Consent Orders.  If you need assistance on a family law matter, Meredith Lawyers, renowned family law firm in Sydney is only a phone call away. Call us today on 1300 537 306 to make an appointment.

Book a